- This event has passed.
Climate Change(d): Weathering Extremes Together
April 8, 2022 @ 9:00 am - 3:00 pmFree
The changing climate has already had profound impacts on our region’s water and watersheds. Our challenge is to adapt and build resiliency for future generations in the North Bay! On April 8, 2022, the North Bay Watershed (NBWA) engaged with industry experts on the direct and indirect relationships our varied North Bay communities have with weather extremes and ways in which our water suppliers and watershed managers are adapting and planning for a widely collaborative future.
Please find module recordings and resources below. Closed captioning (CC) and Spanish translation are provided.
Encuentre las grabaciones y los recursos del módulo a continuación. Se proporcionan subtítulos (CC) y traducción al español.
Click here to learn more about our conference speakers.
Welcome: U.S. Congressman Jared Huffman, California’s 2nd District
OneWater OneBay: State, Bay Area, and local alignment of resources and initiatives to engage new partnerships and strategic priorities.
- Kamyar Guivetchi, CA Dept of Waters
- James Muller, San Francisco Estuary Partnership
- Eduardo Martinez, UnTapped Graduate and City of Richmond Council Member
Sea Level Rise and Freshwater Drop: Regionally significant projects that integrate multi-benefit natural and infrastructure solutions on shorelines, Baylands, and inland communities.
- Jessica Davenport, State Coastal Conservancy/ San Francisco Bay Restoration Authority
- Baylands Ecosystem Habitat Goals, Science Update (2015)
- OPC Sea Level Rise Guidance (2018)
- NOAA Sea Level Rise Technical Report (2022)
- Pathways to 30×30 California: Accelerating Conservation of California’s Nature (Administration of Gavin Newsom, Draft, December 2021)
- 2021 California Climate Adaptation Strategy (Draft, October 2021)
- SCC Strategic Plan update webpage
- San Francisco Bay Restoration Authority
- San Francisco Bay Shoreline Adaptation Atlas
- Bay Adapt Joint Platform: Regional Strategy for a Rising Bay (2021)
- Highway 37 and the San Pablo Baylands
- Napa River Flood Management Plan
- Evolving Shorelines at Bothin Marsh
- South Bay Salt Pond Restoration Project
- Oakland Shoreline Leadership Academy
- Kendall Webster, Sonoma Land Trust
- Melanie Mow Schumacher, Soquel Creek Water District
WatershedSMART: Development of resiliency tools and programs to understand and address extreme weather, drought, wildfire in our regional landscapes and communities.
- Newsha Ajami, PhD, Berkeley Lab Earth and Environmental Sciences Area
- Roger Bales, PhD, UC Merced
- Rebecca Burgess of Fibershed
Resiliency Leadership and Workforce Development: Engagement of our diverse communities and youth in adaptation projects to create future generations of leaders and career climate changemakers.
- Christina McWhorter, Novato Baylands Stewards
- Tara Cornelisse, Natural Resources and Career Pathways
- Douglas Mundo, Multicultural Center of Marin
The 2022 NBWA conference was FREE, however, we encouraged participants to consider donating to fund the NBWA small grants and scholarship program.
The North Bay Watershed Association (NBWA) has worked diligently for more than twenty years on water resource issues that go beyond traditional boundaries to promote stewardship of the North Bay watersheds. The NBWA is proud to sponsor and support local organizations and individuals in our regional community through providing selective local small grants and scholarships. The NBWA is always interested to learn about projects and initiatives that inform, engage, and enhance our North Bay watershed communities. Importantly, our projects are encouraged to be developed, piloted, or implemented by a local proponent with a design plan to distribute derivative benefits to the entire region.
For more information regarding these programs, please visit the small grants and scholarship program.
- Water Colleague
- Water Associate
- Bay Area Clean Water Agencies (BACWA)
- California State Coastal Conservancy
- Central Marin Sanitation Agency
- City of Petaluma
- City of San Rafael
- County of Marin
- Flood Control and Water Conservation District – Napa County
- Ghilotti Bros., Inc.
- HDR, Inc.
- Horizon Water & Environment, LLC
- Novato Sanitary District
- Nute Engineering
- West Yost
- Woodward & Curran